2011 has seen several fatal cycling accidents in the mountains, including in December, when Lees-McRae freshman cyclist Megan Baab was killed while bicycle training on U.S. 221 in North Carolina. Allegedly another college student driving a pickup truck crossed the center line and collided head on with Ms. Baab. The driver was charged with misdemeanor death by vehicle.
The Lees-McRae Cycling Team suffered yet another tragedy in the beginning of 2011, when senior rider Carla Swart died after she was struck by a truck while training in her native South Africa.
In July, Winston-Salem doctor Erik Lie-Nielsen, 35, died after reportedly losing control of his bicycle and crashing into an oncoming vehicle during the Grizzly Bike Ride, a Grandfather Mountain Highland Games event. The driver in this death was not deemed to be at fault. Avid cyclists attribute the deaths in the mountains not to the hilly & curvy terrain but more to increased traffic in the region. To increase safety of pedestrians & bikers, please see the program started by Boone Area Cyclists, a local club, called theHigh Country Safe Streets Pledge. Those signing the pledge vow to follow
1) the “Golden Rule”— pedestrians first, bicyclists second and motorists third.
2) Cyclists pledge to wear a helmet for every ride, and
3) motorists pledge to be patient and respectful while passing cyclists, giving them at least three feet of space. To sign the pledge, visit http://www.booneareacyclists.com -streets-pledge.
Sanders Law Firm, PLLC supports bicyclists and motorcyclists share the road. In addition, the firm handles:
Auto accidents (Car Wrecks)
1) Bicycle Accidents (Bike Injury)
2) Boating Accidents Attorney
3) Choosing a Lawyer
4) Criminal Court Cases (Misdemeanors, DWI)
5) Medical Malpractice
6) Lawyer Malpractice
7) Motorcycle Accidents
8) NC Dog Bite Cases
9) NC Automobile Insurance
10) North Carolina Courts
11) NC Laws and Cases
12) NC Car Insurance
13) Private Disability Insurance Claims
14) Life Insurance Claims
15) Incorporations, LLCs (Limited Liability Company)
16) Business Agreements & Litigation
17) Collection Cases
18) Fiduciary Litigation (Power of Attorney Abuses, Will Caveats, Elder Abuse et al)
Call Sanders Law Firm, PLLC (336) 724-4707, Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Statewide Representation